|New York Central Class R-2 342 at Michigan City, Indiana on February 16, 1964, photograph by Chuck Zeiler. Number 342 was built by Alco-GE in June 1931 for the NYC as number 1242 ( GE c/n 11193 - Alco c/n 68270 ), renumbered to 342 in August 1936, rebuilt by the South Shore in 1968 to CSS&SB 707.
In 1955, ten R-2 Motors were sold to the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad to supplement their electrified freight operations. Seven units, CSS&SB ( 701-707 ) were rebuilt to use 1500 V DC overhead lines using parts left over from the conversion of the P-Motors to 660 V DC third rail. The front ends were also modified moving the cab door from the front to a more typical side access.