GTW 5856         
A CN local approaches S. Lawe St. as it prepares to spot a boxcar for the Neenah Paper mill (formerly Fox River Paper Co.), 600 S. Vulcan St. (at right), via former C&NW rails on Grand Chute Island in 'The Flats' at Appleton, WI on 6 Oct. '18. The Fox River Paper Co. was founded in 1883. It experienced numerous changes in ownership between 1961 and 2007, when it was purchased by Neenah Paper, Inc. The Neenah Paper Co. was organized in 1885, taking over a mill started by the Patten Paper Co. in 1873. The water at left is the last remaining scrap of what was once the South Channel of the Fox River through 'The Flats.' Old maps reveal that the west end of the South Channel was filled in at some point between 1916 and 1957. Most of the remainder of the South Channel was filled in the following years. This remaining portion forms the confluence with a mill race which connects West’s Power Canal (a.k.a. West’s Canal, a.k.a. Grand Chute Island Canal) to the Fox River. The mill race passes under the Neenah Paper facility. Edward West bought Grand Chute Island and excavated the canal in 1870 to provide water power for the industries which he speculated would be built soon after. He was right. Over the past several years, I have notice that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Date: 10/6/2018 Location: Appleton, WI   Map Show Appleton on a rail map Views: 56 Collection Of:   T. P. Bruss
Locomotives: GTW 5856(GP38-2)    Author:  T. P. Bruss
GTW 5856
Picture Categories: This picture is part of album:  Northeast WI and UP of MI, Fall 2018
Share
User Comments
Name Type Comments Date
Mike Maskel General NICE SHOT 11/9/2018 11:14:47 AM
Olaf Junges General Sweet shot! 11/11/2018 1:48:22 PM

Add a Comment:  
Please Log in to leave a Comment.  
Link to this page: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=5045649

Close Window