NP #498         
Built in 1947 by P-S in Lot #6739 to Plan #7511 as NP 24 seat coach-conductor's desk (later replaced with 2 coach seats)-20 seat buffet lounge #498, 1 of 6 such cars (#494-#499) built in that Lot, which was ordered in October 1944; cars were delivered in January 1947. #494-#498 were owned by NP and #499 was owned by CB&Q. In 1955, these cars were reconfigured to the Lewis & Clark Traveller's Rest series, with a 14 seat lunch counter and 30 seat club lounge. The Lewis & Clark format was the work of industrial designer Raymond Loewy, who had been hired by NP to redesign the line's flagship train, the NORTH COAST LIMITED. In 1971, Amtrak acquired these 6 cars as #8350-#8355, the #498 as #8354. The #8354 was retired in July 1981 and sold in 1982 to private ownership. The car was later owned by the Vinwood Management Company as the SONOMA VALLEY; Vinwood also owned SP 4DB-4C-2DR sleeper GOLDEN MISSION. The car was then owned by Dave Duncan and painted in SP DAYLIGHT colors before being donated to the Friends of the 4449 (DLMX) in 2010; the car has been returned to Loewy Two-Tone Green as NP #498. Photographed from the NB #14 COAST STARLIGHT. EXIF: 3:11 PM, f/3 @ 1/400, ISO-100
Date: 8/26/2013 Location: Portland, OR   Map Show Portland on a rail map Views: 825 Collection Of:   Ted Brumberg
Rolling Stock: NP 498 (Diner) AMTK 8354 (Diner) PPCX 800288 (Diner) DLMX 498 (Diner) Author:  Ted Brumberg
NP #498
Picture Categories: Passenger This picture is part of album:  Passenger Cars
Share
User Comments No Comments on this picture
Add a Comment:  
Please Log in to leave a Comment.  
Link to this page: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4013217

Close Window