|C&NW SL-144 1198, Chicago, Illinois, September 1979, photo by Chuck Zeiler. This locomotive is pictured at a railroad industry trade fair on the site of the IC's Central Station, which had been torn down. In the left background is Soldier Field.
General Electric built this locomotive (c/n 41104) in October 1978 along with what became C&NW #1199 (c/n 41105) as demonstrators. It weighed 136 tons and was powered by two Cummins six cylinder KTA-1150-L diesels producing 550 horsepower each, totalling 1100 horsepower. The two demonstrators tested for two years on the C&NW before going to the BN and renumbered as 1100 and 1101.