|Union Pacific Railroad coal turbine 80 or 8080, depending on where you look, at Council Bluffs, Iowa on October 31, 1965, Kodachrome by Dick Rumbolz, Chuck Zeiler collection. Originally numbered 80 and 80B, the locomotive was renumbered 8080 and 8080B in April 1964 to avoid conflict with newly ordered DD35's.
The cab unit was former UP PA1 607 built in January 1947 (c/n 76311), retired in March 1961. It was rebuilt, retaining its Model 244-16 prime mover, adding 2,000 horsepower to the locomotive consist. The B-unit was former Great Northern Railway class W-1 electric locomotive built by GE in June 1947 (c/n 28448), retired by the GN in August 1956, sold to the UP as scrap in 1959. Between 1959 and 1962, the UP designed and built a coal-fired turbine, using a modified turbine power plant from a retired 50-75 series turbine locomotive, producing 5,000 horsepower. The coal tender was from Challenger (4-6-6-4) 3990. The completed 7,000 horsepower locomotive entered service in October 1962, and tested until May 1964, making its last run on May 12. It was deemed a failure, due to turbine blade erosion and soot build-up caused by the coal fuel. It ran less than 10,000 miles before being struck from the roster on March 15, 1968. The cab unit was traded to GE, the B-unit and tender were scrapped by the UP at Omaha.