||CSS&SB Baldwin Westinghouse 903 parked at Michigan City, Indiana on February 16, 1964, Kodachrome by Chuck Zeiler. Number 903 was built in September 1929 (c/n 61047) cataloged as a Class E. The body was built by Baldwin in their tender shops and then shipped to Westinghouse for installation of the electrical apparatus. It was delivered to the Illinois Central in January 1930, numbered IC 10001, and used in the Congress Street and 31st Street yards. This was one of four such locomotives (IC 10000-10003) designed to comply with Chicago's smoke abatement laws. The IC changed to diesel locomotives in 1940, and the electric locomotives were sold to a dealer in Hammond, Indiana, who sold all four to the South Shore for $30,000.00 each. The South Shore had previously acquired their own Class E locomotives from the same builder(s) and with the acquisition of the IC's locomotives became the sole owner of all the Class E's ever built.
||2/16/1964 Upload Date: 6/15/2015 2:37:52 PM
||Michigan City, IN
||CSS 903(Steeple Cab)
||222 Comments: 0