||CB&Q 2-8-0 537
||Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad narrow gauge 2-8-0 537 at Denver, Colorado on June 11, 1934, photograph by Richard B. Jackson, print from Gordon C. Bassett, Chuck Zeiler collection. Number 537 was built by Baldwin in April 1896 as Deadwood Central 5 (c/n 14792), renumbered to Burlington & Missouri River 496 in 1901, becoming CB&Q 537 in 1906. In March 1930, the DC was abandon, and the 537 was converted from oil to coal at the Denver Shops (it had been built as a coal-burner, but was converted to burn oil in 1910) and leased to the Colorado & Southern for use on the South Park lines until that line was abandon in April 1937. The tender was used by the scrapper as a water supply for the camp cars assigned in tearing up the South Park. It was reunited with the locomotive on temporary tracks at Denver pending a decision on the locomotive to attend the New York World's Fair, but C&S 9 went instead. The locomotive was stored, then shipped (locomotive and tender on separate flat cars) to the Q's Eola, Illinois Reclamation Plant and scrapped on August 26, 1939.
||6/11/1934 Upload Date: 10/31/2013 11:21:11 AM
||Richard B. Jackson
||824 Comments: 0