||CB&Q 4-6-2 Class S-1 2850
||Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad 4-6-2 Class S-1 2850 presumed at Philadephhia, Pennsylvania sometime in 1909, photo by Baldwin Locomotive Works, Chuck Zeiler collection. Number 2850 was built by Baldwin in 1909 (c/n 33446), rebuilt in 1924, retired in February 1951 and sold for scrap. It was part of an order for 25 modified Class S-1 4-6-2's (#'s 2845-2869). The first Class S-1's were based on the R-5 2-6-2's, this order substituted Walschaerts valve gear for Stephenson valve gear, although the cylinder piston valves were still located inside. During the mid-1920's, the majority of the S-1's were rebuilt and re-classed as S-1-A. Among the changes during this rebuilding were the application of new cylinders and accessories, new main frames and frame crossties, application of Schmidt-type superheater, new tube sheets and tubes to suit the superheater, new Walschaerts valve gear, new steam pipes, new front deck plate, application of cross-compound air pumps, new main axles and main driving boxes, and the application of either Worthington or Elesco feedwater heating systems. Some of the rebuilt engines were fitted with Delta-B trailing trucks having Franklin boosters. Most of the tenders were also rebuilt, and four-wheel Commonwealth trucks were substituted for the pedestal type.
||1/1/1909 Upload Date: 10/22/2011 11:18:10 AM
||Baldwin Locomotive Works
||546 Comments: 0