Logo
 
 
2/25/2018
 
 
 
 
 
Owner: Chicago & Northwestern
Model:BLW S12Built As:CNW 1076 (S12)
Serial Number:75067Order No:
Frame Number:Built:7/1951
Notes:EMD 567 in 1966, ret July 12, 1977
Other locos with this serial:  CNW 1076(S12)
  Page Controls   View:  Pics Per Page:
C&NW S12 1076
Title:  C&NW S12 1076
Description:  Chicago & North Western Railway Baldwin S12 1076 at Proviso, Illinois on February 14, 1965, Kodachrome by Chuck Zeiler. Built by Baldwin July 1951, ( c/n 75067 ), it was repowered by the C&NW with a new EMD 567 prime mover during 1966, retaining the original Baldwin hood, retired July 12, 1977.
Photo Date:  2/14/1965  Upload Date: 9/8/2017 11:10:51 AM
Location:  Proviso, IL
Author:  Chuck Zeiler
Categories:  Roster
Locomotives:  CNW 1076(S12)
Views:  25   Comments: 0
C&NW S12 1076
Title:  C&NW S12 1076
Description:  Chicago & North Western Railway Baldwin S12 1076 at Proviso, Illinois on February 14, 1965, Kodachrome by Chuck Zeiler. Built by Baldwin July 1951, ( c/n 75067 ), it was repowered by the C&NW with a new EMD 567 prime mover during 1966, retaining the original Baldwin hood, retired July 12, 1977.
Photo Date:  2/14/1965  Upload Date: 11/16/2017 9:38:56 PM
Location:  Proviso, IL
Author:  Chuck Zeiler
Categories:  Yard
Locomotives:  CNW 1076(S12)
Views:  10   Comments: 0
C&NW S12 1076
Title:  C&NW S12 1076
Description:  C&NW S12 1076 at Proviso, Illinois on February 14, 1965, photo by Chuck Zeiler. Built July 1951, (c/n 75067), it was repowered by the C&NW with an EMD 567 prime mover during 1966, retaining the original Baldwin hood, retired July 12, 1977.

The model S-12 was the sucessor to the DS-4-4-1000. Production ran from mid-1950 to 1956. By 1955, B-L-H began the phase-out of diesel-electric production. During this period the supply of Westinghouse electrical gear for the switcher line became depleted, forcing Eddystone to begin using General Electric main generators and traction motors. Between the time in 1953 that Westinghouse began contemplating its discontinuance of railroad electrical equipment and the time B-L-H decided to go out of the diesel-electric business, a new, 6-inch longer frame was designed to accommodate the GE gear. The frame was also modified so that the end steps and pilots could be built separately and bolted on rather than welded. By 1956 the end was at hand and with the departure of Erie Mining Co. S-12 403 (October, 1956) after its use in testing the New Haven RP-210s, the book was closed. With the erecting halls shut down, the final tally of the S-series switchers could be made. There had been 63 S-8 switchers sold to 16 customers in a production run of three years, nine months. In six years and one month of S-12 deliveries, 452 units had been delivered to 48 original customers.

Photo Date:  2/14/1965  Upload Date: 2/8/2011 1:14:32 PM
Location:  Proviso, IL
Author:  Chuck Zeiler
Categories:  Roster
Locomotives:  CNW 1076(S12)
Views:  615   Comments: 0


Site Design ©2001-2016 Tim Huemmer
Photos © respective authors
  Contact: info@rrpicturearchives.net