||UP U50 38
||Union Pacific Railroad U50 38 at Council Bluffs, Iowa on June 13, 1965, Kodachrome by Lou Schmitz, Chuck Zeiler collection. Built in July 1964 (c/n 35098), placed in service July 27, 1964, retired September 25, 1973 and traded to GE, the U50 was two U25B's on a common frame (two FDL-16 four stroke prime movers coupled to two GT588 main generators producing 5000 hp total to eight GE-752A traction motors), utilizing span bolsters and trucks from retired gas-turbine locomotives. One wonders why they didn't carry the red stripe sheet metal continuously across the top of the radiator intakes. The triangular shaped items on the running board, located almost over the center of each span bolster, are the sandboxes. The only other customer, the Southern Pacific, acquired just three U50 locomotives and they lasted a bit longer on the SP.
||6/13/1965 Upload Date: 11/10/2010 1:14:34 PM
||Council Bluffs, IA
||1439 Comments: 0