Logo
 
 
8/19/2019
 
 
 
 
 
Owner: Chicago & Northwestern
Model:FM H-16-66Built As:CMO 150 (H-16-66)
Serial Number:16L278Order No:LD-96
Frame Number:Built:2/1951
Notes:blt for CStPM&O, retired 1971
Other locos with this serial:  CNW 150(H-16-66)
  Page Controls   View:  Pics Per Page:
C&NW H16-66 150
Title:  C&NW H16-66 150
Description:  Chicago & North Western Railway (left to right) F7 4099C, H-16-66 150, GP7 1590, and F7 4100C at Proviso, Illinois on February 14, 1965, Kodachrome by Chuck Zeiler.
Photo Date:  2/14/1965  Upload Date: 4/23/2012 2:15:40 PM
Location:  Proviso, IL
Author:  Chuck Zeiler
Categories:  Yard
Locomotives:  CNW 4099C(F7A) CNW 150(H-16-66) CNW 1590(GP7) CNW 4100C(F7A)
Views:  1016   Comments: 0
C&NW H-16-66 150
Title:  C&NW H-16-66 150
Description:  Chicago and North Western Railway Fairbanks-Morse H-16-66 150 at Proviso, Illinois on February 14, 1965, Kodachrome by by Chuck Zeiler. Number 150 was built for the CStPM&O in February 1951 (c/n 16L278) on F-M Order LD-96, acquired by the C&NW in 1957 by way of merger, retired in 1971.

This is an early production (Phase 1) H-16-66 and is riding on Baldwin 13 foot wheelbase rigid-bolster, fully equalized trucks, which were actually General Steel Castings Commonwealth C-type trucks. The Phase 1 H-16-66's were equipped with Westinghouse electrical gear (Model 370-F traction motors on each axle). Later H-16-66 production units were equipped with GE electrical gear and rode on F-M's Tri-mount drop equalizer trucks designed for the Train Masters built in 1953. The H-16-66's were known as "Baby Train Masters" (note that Train Master is two words), and produced 1600 horsepower from eight cylinders (16 pistons in the opposed-piston design).

Photo Date:  2/14/1965  Upload Date: 10/5/2010 12:56:51 PM
Location:  Proviso, IL
Author:  Chuck Zeiler
Categories:  Roster
Locomotives:  CNW 150(H-16-66)
Views:  1662   Comments: 2
C&NW H-16-66 150
Title:  C&NW H-16-66 150
Description:  Chicago and North Western Railway H-16-66 150 at Proviso, Illinois on February 14, 1965, Kodachrome by Chuck Zeiler. Built as Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha 150, acquired by C&NW by control in January 1957.
Photo Date:  2/14/1965  Upload Date: 8/4/2012 2:05:18 PM
Location:  Proviso, IL
Author:  Chuck Zeiler
Categories:  Roster
Locomotives:  CNW 150(H-16-66)
Views:  827   Comments: 0
C&NW H16-66 150
Title:  C&NW H16-66 150
Description:  Chicago and North Western Railway H16-66 150 at Proviso, Illinois on February 14, 1965, photo by Chuck Zeiler. Number 150 was built for the CStPM&O (which was controlled by the C&NW) in February 1951 (c/n 16L278) and retired in 1971. The following is from an article by Robert Aldag Jr. in the April 1987 issue of Trains Magazine:

In 1950, FM had, at C&NW's request, modified its old-style H16-44 design to the H16-66 configuration. It amounted to a custom design; however, except for the six-motor switch gear and the small changes to the underframe for the six-wheel trucks, FM got by with its standard H16 design. The truck had already been designed, being the one Baldwin used for its various C-C units. It was a truck that looked, and rode, like something that had been rescued from a steam locomotive tender, vintage 1930. But the C&NW was satisfied with it and purchased 25 of those H16-66's, not a bad deal for FM. In the Train Master era, Milwaukee Road came to the time for dieselizing its branch lines, so in response to that need, FM scaled down its Train Master to create the new-design H16-66. The C&NW bought some of those as well.

Photo Date:  2/14/1965  Upload Date: 2/3/2011 2:00:39 PM
Location:  Proviso, IL
Author:  Chuck Zeiler
Categories:  Roster
Locomotives:  CNW 150(H-16-66)
Views:  960   Comments: 1


Site Design ©2001-2016 Tim Huemmer
Photos © respective authors
  Contact: info@rrpicturearchives.net