||A southward ICG Shore Line District local rolls east through the heart of old Mandeville. This town is located on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, directly north of New Orleans. The depot had been located just across the track from the phone box on the left, but it had burned down a few years earlier. Railroad passenger service ended here in 1939, when the Gulf Mobile & Northern replaced its motorcars with buses.The silo on the right was used by Prestressed Concrete Products Co. to transload bulk concrete from covered hopper cars into trucks for movement to their nearby plant. A prestressed concrete manufactuing plant had been established at Mandeville in 1954 as a joint venture by the contractors building the 24-mile Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. The bridge was completed in 1956 and Prestressed Concrete Products Co. was incorporated the following year. The plant closed shortly after this photo was taken.Although the Shore Line local usually ran with one locomotive, during the reconstruction of the branch which took place throughout 1980 it occasionally had an additional unit to handle hoppers cars of ballast; although ballast was also moved in solid trains. This train has GP10 8310, GP8 7724, 33 cars and caboose 199034. Its consist is one loaded GM&O hopper, three loaded IC pulpwood cars, 26 empty ICG hoppers, two empty Southern insulated box cars, and one SCL gondola of scrap.
||10/3/1980 Upload Date: 1/24/2010 11:30:09 AM
||1172 Comments: 4