Logo
 
 
12/14/2018
 
 
 
 
 
Owner: Grand Trunk Western
Model:EMD GP38-2Built As:CRIP 4374 (GP38-2)
Serial Number:786157-7Order No:786157
Frame Number:786157-7Built:11/1978
Notes:nee CRI&P 4374
Other locos with this serial:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
  Page Controls   View:  Pics Per Page:
GTW 5856 and GTW 4908
Title:  GTW 5856 and GTW 4908
Description:  CN backs into the Little Chute Industrial Park in order to serve a couple of industries via former C&NW rails at Little Chute, WI on 9 Oct. '16.
Photo Date:  10/9/2016  Upload Date: 10/30/2016 1:53:30 AM
Location:  Little Chute, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2) GTW 4908(GP38-2)
Views:  119   Comments: 1
GTW 5856 and GTW 4908
Title:  GTW 5856 and GTW 4908
Description:  CN local spots four CSX boxcars at WOW Logistics in the Little Chute Industrial Park via former C&NW rails at Little Chute, WI on 9 Oct. '16. The train lies in the long shadow cast by Cargill Animal Nutrition in the late afternoon sun. CN 388665, set there a few minutes ago by the local, and several other covered hoppers are spotted at the Cargill facility.
Photo Date:  10/9/2016  Upload Date: 10/30/2016 1:53:35 AM
Location:  Little Chute, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2) GTW 4908(GP38-2)
Views:  119   Comments: 0
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description: 
Photo Date:  3/13/2017  Upload Date: 3/16/2017 11:14:54 PM
Location:  Griffith, IN
Author:  Neil Stutzman
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  92   Comments: 1
Joliet Blues
Title:  Joliet Blues
Description:  Two Grand Trunk engines assigned to the yard in Joliet await their next call to duty
Photo Date:  4/14/2017  Upload Date: 5/4/2017 10:44:08 AM
Location:  Joliet, IL
Author:  Jacob Rink
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 4927(GP38-2) GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  103   Comments: 0
BCOL C40-8M 4616
Title:  BCOL C40-8M 4616
Description:  BC Rail 4616 trails on a NB manifest, passing quite an array of power in Joliet
Photo Date:  4/14/2017  Upload Date: 5/4/2017 10:45:58 AM
Location:  Joliet, IL
Author:  Jacob Rink
Categories: 
Locomotives:  BCOL 4616(C40-8M) CN 5704(SD75I) GTW 5856(GP38-2) GTW 4927(GP38-2) CN 8833(SD70M-2) BNSF 6712(ES44C4)
Views:  112   Comments: 0
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description: 
Photo Date:  6/2/2017  Upload Date: 6/12/2017 5:48:21 PM
Location:  Whiting, IN
Author:  Jamie Joyce
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  65   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  GTW 5856 works the yard at Stevens Point, Wisconsin on March 2, 2018. GTW 5856 is the last GTW Operation Lifesaver painted unit left on the CN roster.
Photo Date:  3/2/2018  Upload Date: 3/9/2018 12:01:02 PM
Location:  Stevens Point, WI
Author:  Scott Kuelz
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  33   Comments: 0
GTW 5856 L53581-01
Title:  GTW 5856 L53581-01
Description:  A neat looking geep pulls a few cars towards the yard in Neenah at 1345.
Photo Date:  4/1/2018  Upload Date: 5/3/2018 5:57:24 PM
Location:  Neenah, WI
Author:  Der Langsame
Categories:  Action
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  46   Comments: 0
GTW 5856 L53581-01 (2)
Title:  GTW 5856 L53581-01 (2)
Description:  American Drive at 1345.
Photo Date:  4/1/2018  Upload Date: 5/3/2018 5:57:28 PM
Location:  Neenah, WI
Author:  Der Langsame
Categories:  Action
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  46   Comments: 0
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  Built November 1978 as CRIP 4374.
Photo Date:  4/1/2018  Upload Date: 5/3/2018 5:57:09 PM
Location:  Neenah, WI
Author:  Der Langsame
Categories:  Action
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  58   Comments: 0
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local traverses the Rat River Wildlife Area and approaches Medina Junction Rd. as it heads northwest via former SOO rails at Medina Junction, WI on 19 Apr. '18. Train was headed for Waupaca with about 25 cars.
Photo Date:  4/19/2018  Upload Date: 5/19/2018 4:55:47 AM
Location:  Medina Junction, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  31   Comments: 1
GTW 5856, et al.
Title:  GTW 5856, et al.
Description:  A through freight and a pair of locals work simultaneously at the south end of the CN, former SOO, yard at Neenah, WI on 24 Apr. '18. I was hoping to get closer for a better shot, but before I could get that far, the devious railroad crews thwarted me once again. Nearest local was led by GTW 5856. Through freight had two locomotives, UP 3861 and CN 5454. Didn't catch the road number of the local background right. A remnant of the former C&NW main line, also in use by CN, is at far right. The W. Cecil St. overpass (Timothy Hamblin Bridge) bisects the scene.
Photo Date:  4/24/2018  Upload Date: 5/21/2018 3:43:18 AM
Location:  Neenah, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  24   Comments: 0
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local parallels Harrison St. as it traverses the former SOO yard at Neenah, WI on 24 Apr. '18. Crew was preparing to couple to the covered hoppers at right, spotted on a remnant of the former C&NW main line. The W. Cecil St. overpass (Timothy Hamblin Bridge) is at background left.
Photo Date:  4/24/2018  Upload Date: 5/21/2018 3:43:21 AM
Location:  Neenah, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  25   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local approaches the Jacobsen Rd. overpass as it heads southwest via former SOO rails at Fox Crossing, WI (formerly Town of Menasha, WI until 14 Apr. '16) on 15 May '18.
Photo Date:  5/15/2018  Upload Date: 6/22/2018 3:47:15 AM
Location:  Fox Crossing, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  35   Comments: 2
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local bisects the intersection of S. Lynndale Dr. and W. Everett St. as it heads southwest via former SOO rails at Appleton, WI on 17 May '18. Train was headed back to Neenah from Shawano.
Photo Date:  5/17/2018  Upload Date: 6/22/2018 3:47:19 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  48   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local passes the Main St. overpass via the west leg of the wye at the north end of the former SOO yard at Neenah, WI on 19 May '18. Train was likely returning from Waupaca. The north leg of the wye can be seen at the bottom of the photograph.
Photo Date:  5/19/2018  Upload Date: 6/30/2018 3:29:46 AM
Location:  Neenah, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  9   Comments: 0
IC 9605 and GTW 5856
Title:  IC 9605 and GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local returns to the north end of the former SOO yard at Neenah, WI on 20 May '18. This view would have been prevented by the dominating silhouette of the original Neenah Foundry facility, later known as Plant 1, which stood here for over ¾’s of a century. Established in 1872 as Aylward Plow Works (a.k.a. Aylward & Sons) at 120 N. Lake St., they erected a new foundry at 500 W. Winneconne Ave. in 1918 “in a rural area of southwestern Neenah.” The name of Neenah Foundry was adopted in 1922. Expanded numerous times over the years, it became Plant 1 in 1960 when Plant 2 was constructed in the then rural area at the intersection of Byrd Ave. and the aptly named Aylward St. (followed by Plant 3 in 1967). Plant 1 was closed in 1994, it stood abandoned for a while and was eventually demolished.
Photo Date:  5/20/2018  Upload Date: 7/22/2018 4:29:33 AM
Location:  Neenah, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  IC 9605(GP38-2) GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  16   Comments: 1
GTW 5856 and IC 3110
Title:  GTW 5856 and IC 3110
Description:  A CN local bisects the Appvion, historically Appleton Papers, mill, 825 E. Wisconsin Ave. (background), passes the historic Tuttle Press Co. factory, 600 E. Hancock St. (partially visible at right), and crosses N. Lawe St. as it heads southwest via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 25 Aug. '18. Founded as Appleton Coated Paper Co. at Appleton, WI on 13 May 1907. Acquired by the National Cash Register Co. (NCR) in ’70. NCR combined Appleton Coated Paper Co., Combined Locks Paper Co., and Roaring Spring mill (in PA), to form Appleton Papers, Inc. in ’71. NCR sold Appleton Papers to B.A.T Industries (British American Tobacco Co.) in ’78. The company endured an assortment of foreign owners for the next 23 years. Appleton Papers transferred the assets and operations of its coated free sheet business, primarily the former Combined Locks Paper Co. mill, to a new legal entity, Appleton Coated, LLC, in ’00. Appleton Papers employees completed an $810 million buyout of the company on 9 Nov. ‘01. Appleton Papers changed its trade name and logo to Appleton in ’03. Appleton changed its name to Appvion, Inc. on 13 May ’13. It was sold to Franklin Advisers, Inc., et al., on 13 Jun. ’18, and the greedy, corporate scumbags were permitted to cheat the employees out of $40 million in retirement benefits. The Tuttle Press Co. was founded at Elgin, IL, in 1898. They moved to Appleton in 1901, where they built a facility next to the Wisconsin Tissue Paper Co. on John St. They constructed a new facility at N. Union St. and E. Hancock St. in ’05. Over the years the factory grew until it occupied the entire city block, as it does now. A. F. Tuttle, founder and president, invented the first multi-color web printing press for printing tissue paper. The company was purchased by Northern Paper Mills, Green Bay, on 18 Sep. ‘29. Fox Valley Corp., nothing but a vile holding company, purchased it at some point prior to the mid-‘70s. It continued to operate as Tuttle Press Co. until early ‘83, when the holding company merged it with George S. Carrington Co. of Leominster, Mass., to form Artfaire. Fox Valley Corp. moved this facility’s production to one of their other subsidiaries in Tenn. around 1990. The facility then became Sulpaco West, Inc., part of Sullivan Paper Co. in Mass. They shuttered this facility on 27 Jun. ’02, when they moved its production to one of their other facilities in Mass. For about a century the facility produced a variety of renowned specialty papers: napkins, table covers, tissue, craft paper, paper dolls, gift boxes, crepe paper and especially gift wrapping paper. There haven’t been any business signs on the building for several years. The nearest track used to split into several spurs to serve Tuttle Press, Luvata (formerly Valley Cast), Russel Metals, and Appvion, only the latter is an active rail customer. The guard rail at left marks the spot of the former N. Union St. grade crossing. Train was heading back to Neenah after working Appleton, Little Chute and Kaukauna.
Photo Date:  8/25/2018  Upload Date: 10/30/2018 3:06:47 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2) IC 3110(GP40R)
Views:  16   Comments: 1
GTW 5856 and IC 3110
Title:  GTW 5856 and IC 3110
Description:  A CN local bisects the Appvion, historically Appleton Papers, mill, 825 E. Wisconsin Ave. (background), passes the historic Tuttle Press Co. factory, 600 E. Hancock St. (partially visible at right), and crosses N. Lawe St. as it heads southwest via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 25 Aug. '18. Founded as Appleton Coated Paper Co. at Appleton, WI on 13 May 1907. Acquired by the National Cash Register Co. (NCR) in ’70. NCR combined Appleton Coated Paper Co., Combined Locks Paper Co., and Roaring Spring mill (in PA), to form Appleton Papers, Inc. in ’71. NCR sold Appleton Papers to B.A.T Industries (British American Tobacco Co.) in ’78. The company endured an assortment of foreign owners for the next 23 years. Appleton Papers transferred the assets and operations of its coated free sheet business, primarily the former Combined Locks Paper Co. mill, to a new legal entity, Appleton Coated, LLC, in ’00. Appleton Papers employees completed an $810 million buyout of the company on 9 Nov. ‘01. Appleton Papers changed its trade name and logo to Appleton in ’03. Appleton changed its name to Appvion, Inc. on 13 May ’13. It was sold to Franklin Advisers, Inc., et al., on 13 Jun. ’18, and the greedy, corporate scumbags were permitted to cheat the employees out of $40 million in retirement benefits. The Tuttle Press Co. was founded at Elgin, IL, in 1898. They moved to Appleton in 1901, where they built a facility next to the Wisconsin Tissue Paper Co. on John St. They constructed a new facility at N. Union St. and E. Hancock St. in ’05. Over the years the factory grew until it occupied the entire city block, as it does now. A. F. Tuttle, founder and president, invented the first multi-color web printing press for printing tissue paper. The company was purchased by Northern Paper Mills, Green Bay, on 18 Sep. ‘29. Fox Valley Corp., nothing but a vile holding company, purchased it at some point prior to the mid-‘70s. It continued to operate as Tuttle Press Co. until early ‘83, when the holding company merged it with George S. Carrington Co. of Leominster, Mass., to form Artfaire. Fox Valley Corp. moved this facility’s production to one of their other subsidiaries in Tenn. around 1990. The facility then became Sulpaco West, Inc., part of Sullivan Paper Co. in Mass. They shuttered this facility on 27 Jun. ’02, when they moved its production to one of their other facilities in Mass. For about a century the facility produced a variety of renowned specialty papers: napkins, table covers, tissue, craft paper, paper dolls, gift boxes, crepe paper and especially gift wrapping paper. There haven’t been any business signs on the building for several years. The nearest track used to split into several spurs to serve Tuttle Press, Luvata (formerly Valley Cast), Russel Metals, and Appvion, only the latter is an active rail customer. The guard rail at left marks the spot of the former N. Union St. grade crossing. Train was heading back to Neenah after working Appleton, Little Chute and Kaukauna.
Photo Date:  8/25/2018  Upload Date: 10/30/2018 3:06:57 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2) IC 3110(GP40R)
Views:  13   Comments: 1
IC 3110 and GTW 5856
Title:  IC 3110 and GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local bisects the intersection of W. Franklin St. and N. Division St. as it heads southwest via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 29 Aug. '18. The Mountable Raised Curb System with Vertical Panels (one variant of Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) approved traffic channelization devices) was installed back in May as part of Appleton's quest for so-called 'Quiet Zone' status. The Post Office is partially visible at left. The former Furnishings Unlimited warehouse is partially visible beyond the train at right. The historic address of the facility is 323 N. Clark St. The current business address is 311 N. Superior St.; the address probably changed after an addition was added to the northeast end of the facility after 1981. The building was likely erected by the Cohen Bros. Fruit Co., after a natural gas explosion destroyed their previous facility ca. 10 Sep. 1948. Furnishings unlimited acquired the facility in or prior to 1981. The building had painted signs for Cohen Bros. and Sunkist until at least 1981. The facility used to receive rail service, but it hasn't for quite some time. The most recent occupant is, or was, Appleton Furniture Direct. Train was headed back to Neenah after working Little Chute and Kaukauna.
Photo Date:  8/29/2018  Upload Date: 10/30/2018 3:07:09 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  IC 3110(GP40R) GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  13   Comments: 1
GTW 5856 and CN 9530
Title:  GTW 5856 and CN 9530
Description:  A CN local bisects the intersection of W. College Ave./Hwy. 125 with S. Memorial Dr./N. Richmond St./Hwy. 47 (probably the busiest intersection, consequently busiest grade crossing, in Appleton) as it heads northeast via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 31 Aug. '18. The MOW worker was monitoring the recently replaced railroad signals and gate. A motorist died after he failed to negotiate the jog in S. Memorial Dr. (while traveling at excessive speed), struck the median, rolled his vehicle, and knocked down a street light, traffic signal, and the grade crossing signal at 0217 hours on 30 Aug. You can see his tire tracks in the grass. This portion of the intersection was closed until the railroad signals could be replaced. As soon as the local cleared the intersection, the MOW worker removed the remaining barricades from the street. The interesting brick building at right is Good Company, a restaurant established in 1980. The building was built between 1895 and '01 by the Marshall Paper Co., a.k.a. Marshall Bros. Wholesale Paper or Marshall Bros. Paper. The company was founded in '93 by Simon and Samuel G. Marshall, father and son. Samuel's brothers, Louis J. and Harry M., later joined the company, whose products included wrapping paper and printing paper. It used to receive rail service, the spur was on the north (far) side of the building. Train was headed for Little Chute and Kaukauna.
Photo Date:  8/31/2018  Upload Date: 10/30/2018 3:07:20 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2) CN 9530(GP40-2LW)
Views:  20   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses S. Badger Ave. (just out-of-frame to right) and approaches W. Lawrence St. as it heads northeast via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 8 Sep. '18. Train was headed for Little Chute and Kaukauna.
Photo Date:  9/8/2018  Upload Date: 10/31/2018 3:12:08 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  17   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local parallels 4th St. as it works in the former SOO yard at Menasha, WI on 12 Sep. '18. Intertape Polymer Group (IPG), 741 4th St., is partially visible in the background.
Photo Date:  9/12/2018  Upload Date: 10/31/2018 3:12:50 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  13   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local approaches Appleton St. as it works in the former SOO yard at Menasha, WI on 12 Sep. '18. I believe the local was returning from Hilbert and points beyond. It had an inordinate number of tank cars today. Could there be a new customer along the line? Intertape Polymer Group (IPG), 741 4th St., is partially visible in the background at right.
Photo Date:  9/12/2018  Upload Date: 10/31/2018 3:13:02 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  16   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses Appleton St. as it works in the former SOO yard at Menasha, WI on 12 Sep. '18. The tan building partially visible to the left is the City Limits tavern or bar and grill, 544 4th St. The building was erected in 1960 for the local chapter of the Polish Falcons of America.
Photo Date:  9/12/2018  Upload Date: 10/31/2018 3:13:14 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  20   Comments: 3
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local works in the former SOO yard at Menasha, WI on 12 Sep. '18. The facility at right is currently home to Alliance Industries, 320 Appleton St., they apply powder coatings and manufacture sand cores. Founded at Waupaca, WI in 1979, they leased this facility in 2005. They later purchased the facility as well as the adjacent one at 313 Appleton St. The facility was home to Menasha Mill Supply Co. from at least 1939 through the 1970s, they primarily processed waste paper. It clearly used to receive rail service, but it does not seem to currently. The former MILW yard was located on the other (south) side of it; the building could be serviced by both railroads simultaneously. Intertape Polymer Group (IPG), 741 4th St., is partially visible in the background at left.
Photo Date:  9/12/2018  Upload Date: 10/31/2018 3:13:24 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  17   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses Racine St. as it works in the former SOO yard at Menasha, WI on 12 Sep. '18. I believe the local was returning from Hilbert and points beyond, it had an inordinate number of tank cars today. Could there be a new customer along the line? Alliance Industries, 320 Appleton St., is partially visible in the background at right, they apply powder coatings and manufacture sand cores. Founded at Waupaca, WI in 1979, they leased this facility in 2005. They later purchased the facility as well as the adjacent one at 313 Appleton St. The facility was home to Menasha Mill Supply Co. from at least 1939 through the 1970s, they primarily processed waste paper. It clearly used to receive rail service, but it does not seem to currently. The former MILW yard was located on the other (south) side of it; the building could be serviced by both railroads simultaneously. Milepost 2 is in this side of Racine St., a newer marker on a metal fence post to the right of the tracks, and an older, faded marker on the telephone pole to the left of the tracks.
Photo Date:  9/12/2018  Upload Date: 10/31/2018 3:13:35 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  21   Comments: 2
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local clears 8th St. and parallels Pacific St. as it shoves 6 cars northward via former MILW rails at Menasha, WI on 12 Sep. '18. Local was preparing to serve one or two customers along that branch. One was likely LSC Communications, Inc. (formerly RR Donnelley, originally Banta Corp.), 800 Midway Rd. The other may have been Orbis, 1320 & 1328 Earl St.
Photo Date:  9/12/2018  Upload Date: 11/6/2018 2:12:59 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  13   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local parallels Pacific St. as it shoves 6 cars northward via former MILW rails at Menasha, WI on 12 Sep. '18. Local was preparing to serve one or two customers along that branch. One was likely LSC Communications, Inc. (formerly RR Donnelley, originally Banta Corp.), 800 Midway Rd. The other may have been Orbis, 1320 & 1328 Earl St.
Photo Date:  9/12/2018  Upload Date: 11/6/2018 2:13:50 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  14   Comments: 2
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  The local power rests at its usual parking spot on the yard lead at the CN, former C&NW, yard at Appleton Junction, WI on 30 Sep. '18. I thought this might be the locomotive I saw a few years ago, on which all four number boards had a different font. However, after watching it move around on subsequent days, it looks like only the number board on the front at right is mismatched. The north leg of the wye is partially visible at lower right.
Photo Date:  9/30/2018  Upload Date: 11/9/2018 2:47:24 AM
Location:  Appleton Junction, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  60   Comments: 3
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local approaches S. Lawe St. as it prepares to spot a boxcar for the Neenah Paper mill (formerly Fox River Paper Co.), 600 S. Vulcan St. (at right), via former C&NW rails on Grand Chute Island in 'The Flats' at Appleton, WI on 6 Oct. '18. The Fox River Paper Co. was founded in 1883. It experienced numerous changes in ownership between 1961 and 2007, when it was purchased by Neenah Paper, Inc. The Neenah Paper Co. was organized in 1885, taking over a mill started by the Patten Paper Co. in 1873. The water at left is the last remaining scrap of what was once the South Channel of the Fox River through 'The Flats.' Old maps reveal that the west end of the South Channel was filled in at some point between 1916 and 1957. Most of the remainder of the South Channel was filled in the following years. This remaining portion forms the confluence with a mill race which connects West’s Power Canal (a.k.a. West’s Canal, a.k.a. Grand Chute Island Canal) to the Fox River. The mill race passes under the Neenah Paper facility. Edward West bought Grand Chute Island and excavated the canal in 1870 to provide water power for the industries which he speculated would be built soon after. He was right. Over the past several years, I have notice that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Photo Date:  10/6/2018  Upload Date: 11/9/2018 2:48:20 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  58   Comments: 2
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses E. South Island St. and S. Vulcan St. as it prepares to spot a boxcar for the Neenah Paper mill (formerly Fox River Paper Co.), 600 S. Vulcan St. (at right), via former C&NW rails on Grand Chute Island in 'The Flats' at Appleton, WI on 6 Oct. '18. The Fox River Paper Co. was founded in 1883. It experienced numerous changes in ownership between 1961 and 2007, when it was purchased by Neenah Paper, Inc. The Neenah Paper Co. was organized in 1885, taking over a mill started by the Patten Paper Co. in 1873. South Island St. used to run along the north bank of the South Channel of the Fox River through 'The Flats.' Old maps reveal that the west end of the South Channel was filled in at some point between 1916 and 1957. Most of the remainder of the South Channel was filled in the following years. The last remaining portion (out-of-frame to left) forms the confluence with a mill race which connects West’s Power Canal (a.k.a. West’s Canal, a.k.a. Grand Chute Island Canal) to the Fox River. The mill race passes under the Neenah Paper facility (the bridge over the mill race can be seen in the background at left). Edward West bought Grand Chute Island and excavated the canal in 1870 to provide water power for the industries which he speculated would be built soon after. He was right. Over the past several years, I have noticed that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Photo Date:  10/6/2018  Upload Date: 11/11/2018 2:49:09 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  45   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local clears E. South Island St. and crosses S. Vulcan St. as it prepares to spot a boxcar for the Neenah Paper mill (formerly Fox River Paper Co.), 600 S. Vulcan St., via former C&NW rails on Grand Chute Island in 'The Flats' at Appleton, WI on 6 Oct. '18. The Fox River Paper Co. was founded in 1883. It experienced numerous changes in ownership between 1961 and 2007, when it was purchased by Neenah Paper, Inc. The Neenah Paper Co. was organized in 1885, taking over a mill started by the Patten Paper Co. in 1873. South Island St. used to run along the north bank of the South Channel of the Fox River through 'The Flats.' Old maps reveal that the west end of the South Channel was filled in at some point between 1916 and 1957. Most of the remainder of the South Channel was filled in the following years. The last remaining portion (out-of-frame to left) forms the confluence with a mill race which connects West’s Power Canal (a.k.a. West’s Canal, a.k.a. Grand Chute Island Canal) to the Fox River. The mill race passes under the Neenah Paper facility (the bridge over the mill race can be seen in the background at left). Edward West bought Grand Chute Island and excavated the canal in 1870 to provide water power for the industries which he speculated would be built soon after. He was right. Over the past several years, I have noticed that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Photo Date:  10/6/2018  Upload Date: 11/11/2018 2:49:28 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  54   Comments: 2
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local clears S. Vulcan St. as it prepares to spot a boxcar for the Neenah Paper mill (formerly Fox River Paper Co.), 600 S. Vulcan St., via former C&NW rails on Grand Chute Island in 'The Flats' at Appleton, WI on 6 Oct. '18. The Fox River Paper Co. was founded in 1883. It experienced numerous changes in ownership between 1961 and 2007, when it was purchased by Neenah Paper, Inc. The Neenah Paper Co. was organized in 1885, taking over a mill started by the Patten Paper Co. in 1873. The small white, building background right is a replica of the Vulcan Street Plant, the country's (world's) first Edison hydroelectric central station designed to serve both residential and commercial customers. It began operation 25 Nov. 1882. This replica stands at the approximate location of the original. This generator was identical to its more famous twin, which was installed in the Appleton Paper and Pulp Co. mill 3/4-mile upstream and began supplying electricity 30 Sep. ‘82. That one was commercial only, although it did also supply the paper mill owner’s, Henry J. Rogers, neighboring home. There is a surprising amount of inaccurate and inconsistent information regarding these two electrical facilities on the internet. Over the past several years, I have noticed that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Photo Date:  10/6/2018  Upload Date: 11/11/2018 2:49:47 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  55   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local approaches the former C&NW swing bridge over the Fox River Navigation Canal in 'The Flats' at Appleton, WI on 6 Oct. '18. I haven't noticed a builder's plate, but according to bridgehunter.com, the Warren through truss swing bridge was built in 1908. Train was headed for Kimberly and Combined Locks. Over the past several years, I have noticed that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Photo Date:  10/6/2018  Upload Date: 11/11/2018 2:50:01 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  48   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses the Fox River Navigation Canal via the former C&NW swing bridge in 'The Flats' at Appleton, WI on 6 Oct. '18. I haven't noticed a builder's plate, but according to bridgehunter.com, the Warren through truss swing bridge was built in 1908. Train was headed for Kimberly and Combined Locks. Over the past several years, I have notice that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Photo Date:  10/6/2018  Upload Date: 11/11/2018 2:50:17 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  50   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses the Newberry Trail as it starts to ascend the grade out of 'The Flats' while headed northeast via the former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 6 Oct. '18. Train was coming off of the swing bridge over the Fox River Navigation Canal as it headed for Kimberly and Combined Locks. It is difficult to imagine that this trail used to be a 2-lane street, although not a heavily trafficked street, up until a couple of decades ago. Over the past several years, I have notice that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Photo Date:  10/6/2018  Upload Date: 11/11/2018 2:50:33 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  53   Comments: 1
GTW 5856 and IC 9605
Title:  GTW 5856 and IC 9605
Description:  A CN local parallels W. Butte des Morts Beach Rd. and approaches Stroebe Rd. as it heads northeast via former C&NW rails at Stroebe, WI on 20 Oct. '18. The former SOO main line, also in use by CN, is visible beyond the train at right. Stroebe is a railroad station in Fox Crossing, WI (formerly Town of Menasha, Winnebago Co., WI until 14 Apr. '16 (not Outagamie Co., where Stroebe was originally, erroneously placed on this site)).
Photo Date:  10/20/2018  Upload Date: 11/16/2018 2:18:15 AM
Location:  Stroebe(2), WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2) IC 9605(GP38-2)
Views:  12   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses S. Mason St. as it heads northwest via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 26 Oct. '18. Train was headed back from Kimberly and Combined Locks.
Photo Date:  10/26/2018  Upload Date: 11/17/2018 2:53:16 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  15   Comments: 1
GTW 5856, IC 3129, et al.
Title:  GTW 5856, IC 3129, et al.
Description:  One CN local waits behind the depot/yard office while another local passes in front of it at the former C&NW yard at Appleton Junction, WI on 26 Oct. '18. The local at right is departing for Little Chute and Kaukauna and had two locomotives, IC 3129 and IC 3138. The local at left, powered by GTW 5856, was returning from Kimberly and Combined Locks. There used to be a diamond under IC 3129, from ca. 1874 until at least 1968, where the MLS&W crossed the C&NW. When the MLS&W was absorbed by the C&NW on 1 Sep. 1893, that line became the Ashland Div. of the C&NW. The white building in the background is the former home of the Harry H. Long Moving and Storage Co., 1001 S. Douglas St., Appleton, WI. That building dates to at least 1953, when it was listed in the local directory (it was not listed in ’51). The building has a spur, but it hasn’t been used for quite a while (except for occasional MoW equipment). Now called the Harry H. Long Moving Storage & Express, Inc., the company, founded in 1917, is still family owned. It moved to a larger facility in Town of Clayton, Winnebago Co., WI in 2001.
Photo Date:  10/26/2018  Upload Date: 11/17/2018 2:53:39 AM
Location:  Appleton Junction, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2) IC 3129(GP40R)
Views:  22   Comments: 0
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local extracts three boxcars from the Appvion warehouse (out-of-frame to right) via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 30 Oct. '18. The local was headed back to the yard at Appleton Junction from Kimberly and Combined Locks. The facility at right, a warehouse at 115 N. Kensington Dr., (also occupied by Appvion) has a spur does not appear to receive rail service.
Photo Date:  10/30/2018  Upload Date: 11/17/2018 2:54:05 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  17   Comments: 2
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local approaches E. Newberry St. as it extracts three boxcars from the Appvion warehouse (out-of-frame to left) via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 30 Oct. '18. The local was headed back to Appleton Junction from Kimberly and Combined Locks.
Photo Date:  10/30/2018  Upload Date: 11/17/2018 2:54:26 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  14   Comments: 0
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses Weimar Ct. and enters Telulah Park as it heads southwest with 14 cars via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 30 Oct. '18. The local was returning from Kimberly and Combined Locks.
Photo Date:  10/30/2018  Upload Date: 11/17/2018 2:54:49 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  16   Comments: 1
GTW 5856 and SOO 736
Title:  GTW 5856 and SOO 736
Description:  A CN local passes SOO 736 while traversing Telulah Park as it heads southwest with 14 cars via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 30 Oct. '18. The local was returning from Kimberly and Combined Locks. SOO 736 was donated to the City by John Mason Balliet. He also paid for construction of a temporary spur off the branch line to get the locomotive into the park, as well as a fence erected later to deter vandals. The locomotive arrived on 14 Nov. '59. When asked why he did it, he said, "so that children would know what [a steam engine] looked like." He owned an insurance agency, but railroads were a hobby. He served as a director for MP, MC, LE&E, and P&LE railroads.
Photo Date:  10/30/2018  Upload Date: 11/18/2018 2:52:59 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2) SOO 736(4-6-2)
Views:  34   Comments: 2
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local pulls 14 cars across the Fox River via the former C&NW bridge in 'The Flats' at Appleton, WI on 30 Oct. '18. From this angle it looks like a solitary railroad bridge, but there are actually two bridges a few feet apart. The second, nearer, one is the former MILW bridge, now sans rails. The Oneida Skyline Bridge spans the scene. The local was headed back to the former C&NW yard at Appleton Junction after working eastern Appleton, Kimberly and Combined Locks. Over the past several years, I have noticed that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Photo Date:  10/30/2018  Upload Date: 11/18/2018 2:53:24 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  37   Comments: 2
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local parallels W. Water St. and passes the parking lot of the Paper Discovery Center as it ascends the grade out of 'The Flats' with 14 cars via former C&NW rails at Appleton, WI on 30 Oct. '18. The local was headed back to the former C&NW yard at Appleton Junction after working eastern Appleton, Kimberly and Combined Locks. Over the past several years, I have noticed that some misinformed individuals erroneously refer to ‘The Flats’ as ‘Oneida Flats,’ or some variation of same. However, the historic, industrial heart of Appleton is simply ‘The Flats.’
Photo Date:  10/30/2018  Upload Date: 11/18/2018 2:53:55 AM
Location:  Appleton, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  27   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local parallels 4th St. and approaches Racine St. while it works in the former SOO yard at Menasha, WI on 16 Nov. '18. A couple of blocks away, a train returning from Hilbert waits to pass through on its way back to Neenah. The facility in the background is currently home to Alliance Industries, 320 Appleton St., they apply powder coatings and manufacture sand cores. Founded at Waupaca, WI in 1979, they leased this facility in 2005. They later purchased the facility as well as the adjacent one at 313 Appleton St. The facility was home to Menasha Mill Supply Co. from at least 1939 through the 1970s, they primarily processed waste paper. It clearly used to receive rail service, but it does not seem to currently. The former MILW yard was located on the other (south) side of it; the building could be serviced by both railroads simultaneously.
Photo Date:  11/16/2018  Upload Date: 12/1/2018 2:06:14 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  18   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses River St. as it heads southwest via the former joint MILW/SOO rails at Menasha, WI on 16 Nov. '18. Local was headed back to Neenah. The facility partially visible at left is currently home to Simply Incredible Foods, 198 River St. They purchased the defunct Menasha Municipal Utilities plant in Jun. '14.
Photo Date:  11/16/2018  Upload Date: 12/1/2018 2:06:18 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  22   Comments: 1
GTW 5856
Title:  GTW 5856
Description:  A CN local crosses one of four diamonds which remain on this mostly industrial island (formed when the canal was excavated) as it heads southwest via former joint MILW/SOO rails at Menasha, WI on 16 Nov. '18. Local was headed back to Neenah. The Coveris facility, historically Marathon Corp. (originally Menasha Printing & Carton Co.), 271 River St., Menasha, WI, an active rail customer, is partially visible in the background.
Photo Date:  11/16/2018  Upload Date: 12/1/2018 2:06:21 AM
Location:  Menasha, WI
Author:  T. P. Bruss
Categories: 
Locomotives:  GTW 5856(GP38-2)
Views:  19   Comments: 1


Site Design ©2001-2016 Tim Huemmer
Photos © respective authors
  Contact: info@rrpicturearchives.net