|UP RS1m 1270 at Omaha, Nebraska on an unknown day in January 1964, Kodachrome by Dick Rumbolz, Chuck Zeiler collection. This locomotive was built in May 1943 (c/n 70820) as a steam generator equipped RS1 by Alco for the Bramberger Railroad, road number 570.
The Bramberger was an electric railroad running between Ogden and Salt Lake City, Utah, but required a diesel to move troop trains in and out of Hill Air Force Base, which had no overhead wire. In service on the Bramberger, the 570 was equipped with a trolley pole at each end to activate the Nachod block signals. The War Production Board allocated the RS1 because the Bramberger was built to interurban standards which would not permit a long wheel base steam locomotive. After the war, the RS1, which had seen considerable service, was in need of an overhaul, first performed by Bramberger's shop forces, which lasted about four years before it was in need of a more extensive rebuilding. Julian Bramberger (president) approached EMD about rebuilding the locomotive (he happened to own stock in GM), and EMD agreed to rebuild the RS1, its third rebuilding effort. The 570 returned from EMD in December 1951 with a 1200 horsepwer 567B derated to 1000 horsepower and, of course, an EMD switcher hood on the long end, retaining the Alco short hood. The UP took over the portion of the Bramberger to Hill AFB in 1959 and the 570 was repainted to UP 1270 and based in Omaha. It was traded to EMD in 1972.